Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Price of My Strut

The smoky haze
The lights on the stage
This is so much better
Than minimum wage.

Some people judge
Condemn and begrudge
I try to explain
But their perceptions don’t budge.

Exploited, they say
Dirty and depraved
Worthless and wasted
Until I am saved.

But save me from what?
From shaking my butt?
From profiting for
The price of my strut?

I’m losing my patience
Fabricating nonsense
Lying to hide
The source of my pay cheques.

I’m not degraded
Poverty is overrated
The stigma is what
Makes me so fucking jaded.

And I defend my right
To get paid every night
My own little crusade
Against all that’s uptight.

So I dance to the beat
Bat my eyes and be sweet
Pay my rent and buy food
For my children to eat.

And I do it with pride
Show my assets far and wide
And I tell the naked truth
Cause I’ve nothing to hide.

6 comments:

hazel said...

In case you can't hear me, I'm clapping and cheering.

I frikken love this poem!

Trina Ricketts aka Annie Temple said...

THANK YOU! I'm enjoying your blog too!

miss said...

This is the first time in my life I am leaving a comment on a blog/post.

I love your poem so much!!!

I am a student and going through a number of problems. For instance, I am not able to make enough money to pay my bills, I get screamed at by my manager at the pizza place where I work, etc. I am still trying to keep things in perspective and make wise decisions.

Your blog is very informative.

Thank you!

Annie Temple said...

Thank you for posting your first comment on a blog. I feel so honoured! I hope you find what's right for you. No one should be doing a job they hate. Not servers, not strippers. No one!

Chili Sanchez said...

This is a wicked poem. It could only have come out of experience, necessity, and inspiration and little "fuck you." Nice! Keep up the good work Annie.... I stoke off you and enjoy your social comments and perspective on most everything. -Chili Sanchez

Annie Temple said...

Thanks Chili! This is one of my faves. I need to work on some new stuff though. It's been awhile since I wrote a poem. xo