Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Re-inventing my life

I re-invent my life about two or three times a year. Last year I started doing services for sex workers in Surrey, pole dance lessons and parties, and had pretty much made up my mind that I wouldn't be having anymore children.

This year, I have focused on building the naked truth - hopefully will get some advertising going to help offset the costs of the site (maintenance etc). I have also started working on dancers issues in the public arena - such as facilitating a response from Vancouver dancers to the police enforcement in clubs, and I'm currently working with a couple other industry members on the revision of liquor board regulations in strip clubs.

And now, I have begun to re-invent myself once again.

I've decided that by focusing so much on my passion for advocacy and activism, I'm really missing out on the simpler joys of life - like enjoying my young family, and sharing the woes and triumphs of motherhood with other moms, and maybe even learning to cook this year!

My partner wants to have another baby someday, and that day will have to come sooner rather than later because I'm getting older. And I've resolved myself to this course and now I'm trying to focus on revolving my life around ways to make an income that will support having a baby. Pole dancing is not one of those ways - but it will always be a great way to stay in shape (and lose baby weight, haha).

I often find myself paring down the many responsibilities I take on when I'm at a stage of re-invention. But I have to tell you, it's really hard to let go of anything!

I certainly wish I had more time to do my scrapbooking, photo albums, writing, pole dancing, and other creative pursuits. But I do realize that my family must come first, so the personal interests get left behind. I also have to make an income, so that is at the top of my list of priorities too.

Anyhow, as I begin this new phase in my life again, I will slowly let go of some of the many adventures I've begun. The pole dancing business will probably be a thing of the past soon. I will try to spend less time posting on and reading in the naked truth forums, and more time adding info and updates to the main part of the site. And I may also look for a part-time job out here in Surrey.

I plan to spam my writing to various online zines and get myself published and out there asap. Then I hope to start writing articles for magazines and such. I've always loved writing and if I can make it my bread and butter, well life couldn't get much better than that.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

thunder.willow said...

Lot's of luck to you!

Love the blog, hope you find time to continue to write.

Trina Ricketts aka Annie Temple said...

Thank you so much!