Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Garden Recovery

Well, don't go calling Social Services on me yet. I recovered quite quickly from yesterday's affliction. I made up a yummy lunch for the children, then locked myself in the shed for five minutes while I smoked a bit of a joint. Pot is my own little anti-depressant. It works wonderfully. I came back to my role as mother and maid with much improved stamina and good humour. I spent the rest of the day in the yard with the kids. I decided to yank out some of the weeds in our gardens - gardens that were planted by previous renters. I often have wished we could remove the gardens altogether and put down sod, I'm so embarrassed of our overgrown weed-ridden gardens. But yesterday I finally saw what attracts so many women - and moms - to gardening.

The kids played happily with Mommy in the yard while I got to focus on something with results and rewards. My many interests usually involve paying little attention to the children (writing, reading, working out in my room, visiting strip clubs), so I spend little time pursuing my interests. Gardening, fortunately, can be done while paying attention to the kids. So now, perhaps I have found something new to break up the monotony of my days. While I was weeding mercilessly yesterday, I silently blessed my life that I live in a climate that I might garden year round (or landscape, rather).

I'd like to go back to gardening today because I am far from being finished with the mess of weeds in our yard. But I don't know that it's the best thing for my back I was in so much back pain last night I could barely move to get the kids off to bed. And this morning when I picked up my son from his bed for a morning cuddle, I felt something stab me low on the right side of my back. Nothing actually stabbed me. It was my back acting up. A clear warning that I should take it easy on my back today. We'll see... Sitting idle is not my idea of living.

1 comment:

Jess said...

My mommy smoked pot too. She says I'm allowed to once I graduate college. It helps her with her depression issues and helps her focus on housework.
Pot does not equal a bad mommy at all!